Monday, October 3, 2011

Simplicity 4842 Christmas Stockings

Simplicity Sewing Pattern 4842 Holiday Décor, One Size


So, finally I have time to post something.  This weekend was busy!  I have a couple of things to buy to finish 2 of my latest projects so hopefully those will be coming up in the next couple of days.  Until then I'm going to talk about the stockings I made a year ago.

I never did get a chance to post them before Christmas last year on my regular blog because I was having some serious tonsil issues!!!  I'm excited to show them now because they turned out better than I expected.

I really love this pattern style because they just felt more classy than some of the other stuff available.  There are 3 sizes.  The small ones are actually quite small.  The medium ones are bigger than I anticipated but not nearly as big as the large ones which I would classify as ginormous because of how ridiculously huge the pattern pieces are!  Anyhow, I did the medium size ones.

I think they used cotton on the stockings in the picture and they tell you to get this special jingle bell trim of which I did neither.  I ended up using brocade and some trim that I thought went better with it.  The brocade looks very nice and elegant but I don't recommend it unless you can get it super cheap (it's expensive!) and if you're ok working fabric that unravels VERY easily.  If I can find it cheap enough this year I'm hoping to make a tree skirt to match them but we'll see.  

Over all the pattern was very simple and easy to follow.  I can't remember any instructions that would give anyone trouble and I also plan on using it again to make stockings for additions to the family.

Here is my work which the picture doesn't do justice for:


I haven't decided yet if I'm going to put names or initials on, or if I'm just going to randomly assign one each year.  The first 3 are for the kids and Tekara and the last 2 are for Mom and Dad.

I'm rating this a 2 or 3 on the scale depending on what fabric you decide to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment